751. I found out that I wasn’t as smart as I thought.
我发现自己没有想象中的那么聪明。
752. He brought the package to the wrong office.
他把包裹送错办公室了。
753. He wore blue jeans to a formal dinner.
他穿着蓝色牛仔裤去参加一个正式的晚宴。
754. I completely forgot about her divorce.
我完全忘记她离婚了。
755. She spilled the soup all over her dress.
她把汤洒到了她的衣服上,弄得到处都是。
756. He brought his girlfriend to his ex-wife’s party.
他把他的女朋友带到了他前妻的聚会上。
757. He overslept and missed work.
他睡过头了,误了上班。
758. I got lost and drove around the city for hours.
我迷路了,开车在城里转了几个小时。
759. My decision ruined the whole evening.
我的决定把整个夜晚都破坏了。
760. He should never drink that much alcohol in public.
他不应该在公众场合喝那么多酒。
761. She’ll never give me an extension for such a foolish excuse.
她不会因为这样一个愚蠢的理由而让我延期的。
762. I don’t want to look stupid in front of the teacher.
我不想在老师面前显得愚蠢。
763. Did I do anything embarrassing?
我做了什么令人难堪的事情吗?
764. The worst thing was when you got up on top of the table and started dancing and singing.
最糟糕的事就是你站在桌子上又唱又跳。
765. I let the cat out of the bag with only one day to go.
只剩最后一天了,我却泄露了秘密。
【生词解读】
1. package n. 包裹;包
2. formal a. 正式的;礼节上的
3. oversleep vi. 睡过头
4. extension n. 延长;延期;缓期
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
lesson52 ADVENTUROUS EXPERIENCES 冒险的经历
766. I spent this summer fighting forest fires.
这个夏季我在扑救森林大火。
767. My brother is a rodeo rider.
我哥哥是个马技表演者。
768. John is a New York City firefighter.
约翰是纽约市的一名消防员。
769. She was trapped on a mountain in Tibet for almost a day.
有一次在西藏,她在山上被困了几乎一天。
770. His raft turned over in rough whitewater.
他的筏子被激流弄翻了。
771. Have you ever seen a bullfight in Spain?
你看过西班牙斗牛吗?
772. I love bungee cord jumping.
我喜欢跳蹦极跳。
773. The adrenalin rush is incredible.
那种刺激简直是令人难以置信。
774. I live for excitement.
我活着就为了冒险。
775. I’m planning to climb Mount Denali in Alaska.
我打算去攀登阿拉斯加州的德纳里山。
776. I was worried that I would chicken out the first time I tried it, but I found out that you get so caught up in the excitement that you don’t have time to be scared.
我第一次尝试的时候也担心我会害怕得放弃,但后来发现当你正兴奋的时侯,根本就没有时间害怕。
777. Everything happens so quickly that you won’t have time to start worrying.
一切都发生得那么迅速,你根本就没有时间担心。
778. Not everyone can say that they’re climbed some of the tallest mountains in the world.
不是每个人都可以说他们曾攀登过世界上最高的一些山。
779. Every year some people are killed falling off cliffs?, getting caught in avalanches?, or from exposure to the elements.
每年都有一些人因摔落悬崖、遇上雪崩、或是暴露于严酷的环境而死亡。
780. I prefer to rough it when I go camping.
我比较喜欢原始的野营方式。
【生词解读】
1. adventurous a. 爱冒险的;大胆的
2. rodeo n. 马术竞赛会;牧人套马表演会
3. trap v. 使落入圈套(或困境)
4. raft n. 木排,木筏;筏子
5. whitewater n. 白色水域;急流
6. bullfight n. 斗牛
7. adrenalin 一阵兴奋(或激动)
8. chicken out 因害怕而不敢做某事
9. cliff n. 悬崖,峭壁
10. avalanche n. 雪崩
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
lesson53 EXCITING EXPERIENCES令人激动的经历
781. Walking across the street in China can be very exciting.
走在中国的街道上是很令人激动的。
782. A predictable life isn’t very exciting.
可以预料的生活并不很令人兴奋。
783 You need a little bit of excitement in your life.
你的生活需要一些激情。
784. I always get excited about Christmas.
每到圣诞节我总是很激动。
785. This movie is incredibly thrilling.
这部电影真是无比惊栗。
786. I’m very excited about my future.
我为我的将来感到非常兴奋。
787. I can’t contain my excitement about traveling to Japan.
要去日本旅行了,我无法抑制我的激动心情。
788. I don’t think I can stand much more excitement.
我想我已不能再激动了。
789. He’s excited at the idea of moving.
一想到要搬家,他就激动。
790. Don’t excite the children.
别让孩子们太兴奋。
791. It’s not every day you get the opportunity to study and live in a foreign country.
到国外去学习和生活的机会不是每天都有的。
792. I can’t help but be happy that I get to study in Paris for an entire year.
我能够到巴黎去学习整整一年,我的兴奋之情真是难以抑制。
793. I remember one Christmas while you were so excited that you waited up for Santa all night long.
我记得有一年圣诞节,你非常激动,整个晚上没睡在等圣诞老人。
794. I can’t wait to tell all my friends.
我等不及要去告诉我的朋友们。
795. I’m going to get to see the ground from high up in the air, just like a bird.
我马上就可以从高空看地面了,就像鸟一样。
【生词解读】
1. predictable a. 可预言的,可预料的
2. thrilling a. 毛骨悚然的,令人兴奋的
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
lesson54 BRAVE EXPERIENCES 勇敢的经历
796. You’re very brave.
你非常勇敢。
797. The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.
我们唯一应该害怕的就是害怕本身。
798. Playing contact sports builds character.
玩那些有身体接触的运动能够培养人的性格。
799. He grew up in a rough neighborhood.
他在很艰苦的环境中长大。
800. He jumped into the river to save that boy from drowning.
他跳下河去救那个落水的小男孩。
801. He is certainly not a coward.
他当然不是一个懦夫。
802. She didn’t panic when the bear saw her.
当熊看到她的时候,她没有惊慌。
803. It took a lot of nerve to go out in the storm.
要有很大勇气才能走到进暴风雨中去。
804. We all have to conquer some fears.
我们都必须克服某些恐惧。
805. Courage means different things to different people.
勇气对于不同的人来说有不同的含义。
806. There is an amazing story of a man who managed to stop a robbery.
有一个了不起的故事,是关于一个人阻止了一次抢劫。
807. I wonder why he risked his life for a stranger.
我想知道他为什么会为一个陌生人冒生命危险。
808. He said that he couldn’t just stand by and watch some innocent person get hurt.
他说他不能袖手旁观,看着无辜的人受到伤害。
809. I just did what anyone would have done in my situation.
我所做的事情,别人在我的处境下也会这么做的。
810. I really didn’t have time to think. I just acted.
我真的没有时间想了。我就是那么做了。
【生词解读】
1. coward n. 懦夫,胆怯者
2. panic v. 恐慌
3. storm n. 暴风雨
4. robbery n. 抢劫;盗取;抢劫案
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
lesson55 LONELY EXPERIENCES 孤独的经历
811. I just moved to town and haven’t met anyone yet.
我搬到镇里去了,再没见过任何人。
812. It’s hard to work somewhere far from home.
在离家这么远的地方工作真是很困难。
813. Billy hasn’t made any friends at his new school.
比利在新学校没有交什么朋友。
814. I’ll miss you when you’re gone.
你走了我会想你的。
815. I have no one to really talk to.
我没有能够真正谈心的人。
816. There are no other Americans in my school.
在我的学校里没有别的美国人了。
817. This is my first time away from home.
这时我第一次离开家。
818. I just broke up with my girlfriend.
我刚和我的女朋友分手了。
819. This house feels empty with just me in it.
只有我一个人住,房子显得空荡荡的。
820. Everyone else has gone home for the summer.
其他人都回家过暑假了。
821. I just found out that I’m going to have to work on Christmas.
我刚刚才知道圣诞节我必须加班。
822. I’m a real people person and love being around others.
我是很合群的人,喜欢和别人在一起。
823. I had to finish a project and couldn’t take the time to go on vacation.
我必须完成一项方案,没时间去度假。
824. I was the only one left in the dorms.
我是唯一一个留在宿舍里的人。
825. Absolutely, I’ve been dying for some company.
当然了,我一直都非常想有人陪我。
【生词解读】
1.lonely a.寂寞的,孤独的
2.somewhere ad.某处,在某处
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
lesson56 CONFUSING EXPERIENCES 困惑的经历
826. I don’t think this is the right address.
我认为这个地址不对。
827. Do you know where we are going?
你知道我们要去哪吗?
828. I’m not sure which bag is mine.
我不能肯定哪个包是我的。
829. He keeps getting their names mixed up.
他总是混淆了他们的名字。
830. It’s hard to remember which classroom is mine.
很难记住哪间教室是我的。
831. It’s very confusing to learn a new language.
学习一门新语言是很令人困惑的。
832. Chinese characters always confuse me.
中国汉字总是让我困惑。
833. He was confused as to what his boss wanted him to do.
他搞不清楚他的老板想要他干什么。
834. Jill is easily confused.
吉尔很容易被弄糊涂。
835. The deer was confused by the headlights of the car.
汽车的车头灯让这只鹿不知所措。
836. Well, I’m not sure if everything is good.
嗯,我不能肯定是否一切正常。
837. Has anything unusual happened to her recently?
最近有没有什么不寻常的事情发生在她身上?
838. I don’t have a clue where to go from here.
我根本不知道该去哪里。
839. Yes, I swear I have, but I can’t seem to remember it for long.
是,我发誓我做了,但是我好像记不了多长时间。
840. We were all eating in a restaurant when I got up to use the bathroom right before we were about to leave.
当时我们在一家餐厅里,就在我们要离开之前,我去了一趟洗手间。
【生词解读】
1. confusing a. 令人困惑的
2. headlight n. (汽车等的)车前大灯;前照灯
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
lesson57 MISERABLE EXPERIENCES 悲惨的经历
841. I’ve had a fever for the past two days.
我最近这两天发烧了。
842. I can’t wait to get out of these wet clothes.
我等不及要脱下这些湿衣服。
843. This backpack is way too heavy.
这个背包太重了。
844. We’re been walking for hours and I’m exhausted.
我们走了几个小时了,我已精疲力尽了。
845. My first few months at college were miserable.
我刚上大学的头几个月过得很悲惨。
846. I once had to sleep on the floor of a train.
我曾经有一次不得不睡在火车厢的地板上。
847. I hate going to funerals.
我讨厌去参加葬礼。
848. Talking to my boss is pure misery.
和我老板谈话简直是受罪。
849. He is a miserable little person.
他是一个可怜的身材矮小的人。
850. This rain is miserable weather.
下雨天真是糟糕透了。
851. I was really sorry to hear that you were sick for so long.
听说你病了这么长时间,我真是很难过。
852. It’s been a month and she’s still feeling bad.
已经过了一个月了,她感觉还是很糟。
853. The worst part of the illness is that you are always so tired.
这病最糟糕的地方,就是你总是感到疲倦。
854. My drinking got so bad that I lost my job because I got caught drinking while at work.
我酗酒太严重以至丢了工作,因为我上班的时候喝酒被抓住了。
855. I couldn’t support my family while I was drinking, so I made the decision to sober up.
当我酗酒的时候,我连家都养不起,所以我决定戒酒。
【生词解读】
1. miserable a. 凄惨的;悲哀的
2. fever n. 发烧,发热;热度
3. backpack n. 登山、远足用的背包
4. exhausted a. 精疲力竭的
5. funeral n. 丧葬,葬仪;出殡行列
6. misery n. 痛苦;不幸;悲惨
7. sober up v. 使清醒
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
lesson58 PEACEFUL EXPERIENCES宁静的经历
856. It’s very quiet up here on the mountain.
在这山上很宁静。
857. This street is so much more peaceful than the rest of the city.
这条街比城市的其他地方要宁静多了。
858. The church is a very calm place to pray.
这个教堂是一个非常安静的做祈祷的地方。
859. This music soothes my soul.
这音乐能安抚我的灵魂。
860. Let’s go have a nice day in the park.
让我们去公园好好玩一天。
861. My vacation was very relaxing.
我的假期过得很放松。
862. Rowing on the lake in the morning helps clear my mind.
早上在湖中泛舟使我思绪清晰。
863. Meditation helps me deal with stress.
瞑思能够帮助我克服压力。
864. I’m most calm after a long run.
长跑之后我非常平静。
865. I want to retire to a cabin deep in the forest.
我想隐居到到森林深处的小屋里。
866. You should take up some activities that help you to relax.
你应该多参与能够帮助你放松的活动。
867. I take classes in yoga to help me unwind.
我练习瑜迦功以帮助我放松。
868. It’s very peaceful and helps you clear your mind of all thoughts and worries that can cause you stress.
那里非常宁静,可以帮你清除那些给你带来压力的想法和担心。
869. When I really want to relax, I like to be alone.
当我真正想放松的时候,我喜欢一个人独处。
870. I was so relaxed by my day at the beach, that I fell asleep in the sun.
在阳光普照的海滩上,我放松得睡着了。
【生词解读】
1. soothe v.安慰,抚慰;使平静;哄
2. rowing n. 划船
3. meditation n. 沉思,冥想
4. cabin n. 小屋
5. yoga n. (印度的)瑜珈;瑜珈功
6. unwind v. 解开;展开;松开;放松
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
lesson59 FAILURE 失败的经历
871. I’m sure I just failed that exam.
我确信刚才那个考试我没通过。
872. Terry just lost that account for our company.
特里刚刚把我们公司的账目给弄丢了。
873. He gambled away most of his savings.
他赌博输掉了他的大部分积蓄。
874. The cook ruined this meal.
那个厨师把这顿饭做得很糟。
875. The attempt ended in complete failure.
这次尝试以彻底失败而告终。
876. She failed to find any solution to the problem.
她没有找到任何解决这个问题的方法。
877. I can’t find any kind of job in this town.
在这个镇里我找不到任何工作。
878. Tim finished last in the race.
在比赛中迪姆是最后一名。
879. Bill lost the election for mayor.
比尔在市长竞选中失败了。
880. He couldn’t finish the report on time.
他不能按时完成报告。
881. During the talent portion?, my voice broke when I went to go for a high note.
在才艺表演部分,我在唱高音时唱不上去。
882. I did get a new job, but then I got fired.
我的确找到了一份新的工作,不过我又被解雇了。
883. I can’t believe I failed so horribly.
我不能相信我竟会失败得这么惨。
884. At least you learned a valuable lesson about not getting in over your head.
至少你得到了一个有价值的教训,就是做事情要量力而为。
885. I lost my job, so I couldn’t afford to live on my own anymore.
我失业了,所以我不能自食其力了。
【生词解读】
1. failure n. 失败
2. fail v. 不及格
3. gamble v. 赌掉,输光
4. solution n. 解答;解决(办法) ;解释
5. portion n. 部分
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
lesson60 SUCCESS 成功经历
886. His first book was a best seller.
他的第一本书很畅销。
887. I’ve finally graduated from college.
我终于大学毕业了。
888. I just got my dream job.
我刚刚得到了我梦寐以求的工作。
889. You’re taken some incredible photographs here.
你在这儿照了一些很棒的照片。
890. Sharon was first in her class at law school.
在法学院,雪伦是她班上的第一名。
891. I finally got that promotion I wanted.
我终于得到了我渴望的晋升。
892. She just won the lottery.
她刚中了彩票。
893. My dad was just voted in as the company president.
我的父亲刚被投票选为公司总裁。
894. His paintings are some of the most famous in the country.
他的画在这个国家是最著名的。
895. That was the fastest I have ever run a mile.
那一英里是我跑得最快的一次。
896. I feel really flattered that out of all the students I was picked.
那么多学生当中我被选中了,我简直受宠若惊。
897. No matter what you do, you’ll make them proud.
不管你做什么,他们都会为你自豪的。
898. I want to show everyone how successful I turned out to be.
我想让大家看看我有多成功。
899. That’s quite a success story.
那真是一个成功的故事。
900. It sounds like you have a lot to be proud of.
听起来你有很多东西值得自豪。
【生词解读】
1. promotion n. 提升,晋级
2. lottery n. 奖券,彩票;摸彩,抽签