301. I don’t tell you I love you enough.
我爱你这句话,我对你说得不够。
302. My first love was when I was in high school.
我的初恋是在高中的时候。
303. I hate being alone on Valentine’s Day.
我讨厌一个人过情人节。
304. He thinks he’s falling in love with her.
他以为他已经爱上了她。
305. Love means different things to different people.
爱对不同的人意味着不同的东西。
306. It’s easy to get hurt by people you love.
你很容易会被你所爱的人伤害。
307. I’m in love with someone else.
我爱上了别人。
308. Love can break your heart.
爱可以使你心碎。
309. He’s in love only with himself.
他只爱他自己。
310. Marriages in the past often were without love.
过去的婚姻往往是没有爱情的婚姻。
311. You look like you are floating on cloud nine .
你看起来好像高兴得飘飘欲仙。
312. I guess it was fate working to bring you together.
我猜是命运使你们走到了一起。
313. You can’t possibly love everything about a person.
你不可能喜欢一个人的全部。
314. Just wait until you get to know him a bit longer, then you might find some things about him that get on your nerves.
等你和他相处的时间长一点,你就可能发现他有某些地方是让你难以忍受的。
315. Right now, you see him through rose colored glasses but later you will be able to see him as he is.
现在,你是情人眼里出西施,觉得他什么都好,不过不久后你就会看清楚他真实的一面了。
【生词解读】
1. Valentine’s Day 情人节(每年二月十四日)
2. float vi. 漂浮,浮动;飘动
3. cloud nine n. 极乐心境;狂喜状态
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
lesson22 FAITH 宗教与信仰
316. Most Americans are Christian.
大部分美国人是基督教徒。
317. I don’t like going to church.
我不喜欢去教堂。
318. There are different religions all over the world.
世界上有很多不同的宗教。
319. Religion is important to many people.
对许多人来说,宗教是很重要的。
320. It’s hard to define what is a superstition.
很难定义什么是迷信。
321. Faith is often a cause for some people to fight.
信仰经常是导致人们斗争的原因。
322. Some people believe in miracles.
有些人相信奇迹。
323. Fear often causes non-believers to pray.
恐惧经常会使不信教的人也来祈祷。
324. It’s comforting to believe in a life after death.
相信有来生,会让人感到欣慰。
325. Faith can keep people from doing bad things.
信仰可使人不做坏事。
326. I was wondering if you would like to go to the church with me this coming Sunday.
我在想这星期天你能否陪我去一趟教堂。
327. It’s just that I’m not very religious.
只不过我并不是很虔诚的教徒。
328. The past few years I’ve really become an agnostic.
过去几年来,我真可说成了一个不可知论者。
329. I just thought you might like my church’s Sunday service.
我只不过是想你可能会喜欢我那教堂的礼拜仪式。
330. Even though you aren’t religious, are you any particular religion?
虽然你不很虔诚,但你是不是某个教派的教徒?
【生词解读】
1. Christian n. 基督教徒
2. religion n. 教派;宗教团体
3. define v. 解释,给..下定义
4. superstition n. 迷信;迷信行为
5. miracle n. 奇迹;奇迹般的人(或物)
6. pray v. 祈祷,祈求
7. agnostic n. 不可知论者
8. particular a. 特殊的;特定的;特别的
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
lesson23 SYMPATHY 同情
331. It’s hard to sympathize with someone who is so mean to others.
很难同情那些对别人刻薄的人。
332. You have my sympathy.
我很同情你。
333. I don’t want your sympathy.
我不需要你的同情。
334. He sympathizes with the common people.
他同情平民百姓。
335. My uncle is a very sympathetic person.
我叔叔是一个富有同情心的人。
336. We sympathize with what you’re going through.
我们对你的遭遇表示同情。
337. You don’t need anyone’s sympathy for your mistakes.
你不需要任何人来同情你犯的错误。
338. Who couldn’t sympathize with such a sad little child?
谁能不同情这样一个可怜的小男孩呢?
339. Don’t you have any sympathy for poor people?
你难道对穷人没有同情心吗?
340. My sympathies lie with the losing team.
我同情输了的那个队。
341. I just wanted to let you know how sorry I was to hear about your father passing away.
我只想让你知道,对你父亲的去世我感到多么的遗憾。
342. If there is anything I can do, please don’t hesitateto ask.
如果有什么我能帮得上忙的,请尽管开口,别犹豫。
343. I’ll try to make sure I let him know I want him to feel better without making him think I pity him.
我会尽量让他明白我只是希望他感到好些,而不是在同情他。
344. I think I will go visit her and see what I can do to help.
我想去探望一下她,看看有什么可以帮上忙的。
345. At least, I can send my love and best wishes.
至少我可以表达我的爱与最好的祝福。
【生词解读】
1. sympathize vi. 同情;怜悯;吊慰
2. sympathetic a. 同情的;有同情心的
3. hesitate vi. 踌躇;犹豫
4. pity v. 怜悯;同情
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
lesson24 OPTIMISM 乐观主义
346. I’ve got high hopes for this experiment.
我对这次试验抱很大希望。
347. I’m confident we’ll win this game.
我相信这场比赛我们会赢的。
348. Joe’s always an optimist.
乔一直是个乐观主义者。
349. You seem pretty optimistic about your chances.
看起来你对自己的机会持乐观态度。
350. Why are you so optimistic after what just happened?
为什么在发生了这些事情后,你还这么乐观?
351. Optimism comes from hope.
乐观来自希望。
352. Optimists always say the glass is half full, not half empty.
乐观主义者总是说,杯子有一半是满的,而不是说杯子有一半是空的。
353. I’m not very optimistic about this new restaurant.
我对这家新开的餐馆不抱乐观态度。
354. The investors are optimistic about our company’s future.
投资者对我们公司的未来持乐观态度。
355. Optimism is a healthy outlook on life.
乐观是一种健康的人生观。
356. I will deal with that if it happens, but until then I’m going to hope for the best.
如果那样的话,我会想办法处理的。但是在那之前,我还是朝好的方向想。
357. It would be better to just try to calm down.
最好是尽量平静下来。
358. Lots of people believe if you are optimistic, better things will happen to you.
很多人相信,如果你是乐观的,事情就会向好的方向发展。
359. In the end, you will always be happier if you have pleasant thoughts and lots of hope.
最后,如果你思想乐观,充满希望的话,你就总是会更快乐些。
360. Tomorrow has to be better, because it can’t possibly be worse than today.
明天肯定会更好,因为不可能比今天更糟了。
【生词解读】
1. optimism n. 乐观;乐观主义
2. optimist n. 乐观者;乐观主义者
3. optimistic a. 乐观的
4. investor n. 投资者;出资者
5. calm vi. 镇定下来;平静下来
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
lesson25 PESSIMISM 悲观
361. This effort is hopeless.
这是没有希望的努力。
362. Why are you always a pessimist
你为什么总是一个悲观主义者?
363. I don’t want to hear any more pessimism.
我不想再听到什么悲观的论调了。
364. The voters are pessimistic about the economy.
投票者对经济很悲观。
365. I’m a little pessimistic about our team’s chances.
我对我们队获胜的机会并不看好。
366. Pessimism infects other people.
悲观情绪会影响别人。
367. I’ve given up hope for this job.
我对这份工作不抱希望了。
368. I’m not very hopeful about the future.
我对将来不抱太大希望。
369. Quit being such a pessimist.
不要再这么悲观了。
370. I don’t think I’ll ever get a better job.
我认为我不会找到更好的工作了。
371. We always tend to think we’re done worse than we have.
我们总是倾向于认为自己做得很糟,但实际情况并不是那么糟。
372. I’m never going to get into a good college, so then I won’t be able to get a good job.
我永远也进不了好大学,所以我也不会有好工作了。
373. They fired me because the company is losing money and they had to cut corners.
因为公司亏损要削减开支,所以他们把我给解雇了。
374. You shouldn’t dwell on the negative things in your life.
你不应该老是想着生活中消极的一面。
375. I don’t think my spirits can be raised.
我想我是高兴不起来了。
【生词解读】
1. pessimism n. 悲观,悲观情绪
2. pessimist n. 悲观者,悲观主义者,厌世主义者
3. pessimistic a. 悲观的
4. dwell vi.思索;详述
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
lesson26 PREFERENCE 偏好
376. I prefer apples to oranges.
桔子和苹果相比,我更喜欢苹果。
377. Do you have any preferences about dinner?
晚餐你有什么特别想吃的吗?
378. I’d prefer to just go home.
我更想回家。
379. Would you prefer to have white wine?
你想不想来一点白葡萄酒?
380. I’d prefer not to talk about it.
我不愿意谈这个。
381. I can eat this, but it’s not my preference.
我可以吃这个,但是这不是我喜欢的。
382. What would you prefer we do?
你想我们做什么?
383. I’d prefer it if you’d change the subject.
我希望你能换个主题。
384. He’d prefer to just watch TV instead of going out.
他更喜欢呆在家里看电视,而不是出去。
385. My family would prefer to go to New York for vacation.
我的家人想去纽约度假。
386. Do you have any preferences about what to eat?
关于吃的你有没有什么偏好?
387. She was surprised because my sister was very picky about what she would eat.
她很吃惊,因为我姐姐很挑食。
388. I know, but she’s too set in her ways to change.
我知道,但她的习惯已经根深蒂固,改不了。
389. It is nice, but I still don’t think this car is right for me.
它是不错,但我还是认为它不适合我。
390. I like to wear clothes that are comfortable, not those that are fashionable.
我喜欢穿舒适的衣服,而不是流行的衣服。
【生词解读】
1. preference n. 偏爱的事物(或人)
2. prefer v. 宁可,宁愿(选择) ;更喜欢
3. picky a. 【美】【口】吹毛求疵的;挑剔的
4. fashionable a. 流行的,时尚的;时髦的
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
lesson27 DISAPPOINTMENT 失望
391. I didn’t get the job I wanted.
我没有得到我想要的工作。
392. I’m really disappointed in this movie.
这部电影真是令我失望。
393. The team’s performance was disappointing.
这个队的表现令人失望。
394. I hate to disappoint you.
我很不愿让你失望。
395. This meal is rather disappointing.
这顿饭真让人失望。
396. He was disappointed with the hotel’s service.
这家旅店的服务让他失望。
397. I expected better from you.
你没达到我对你的期望。
398. She was disappointed in herself.
她对自己失望了。
399. I waited for two hours and no one came to meet me.
我等了两个小时,没人来接我。
400. This vacation did not go as well as expected.
这个假期过得没有期望的那么愉快。
401. The world won’t end or anything like that, but I still feel pretty sad.
世界末日不会到来,但我还是感到难过。
402. I just found out that I didn’t get into one of the study abroad programs I applied for.
我刚知道在我申请的其中一个出国学习项目中,我没被选上。
403. I don’t think it will lift my spirits but I’ll give it a try.
我想那也不会让我的情绪好起来,但我会试试。
404. This doesn’t help me to get over my disappointment.
这并不能帮我克服失望。
405. I guess I will for your sake, but I still don’t like losing.
我想我会因为你而这么做,但我还是不喜欢输的感觉。
【生词解读】
1. disappointment n. 失望;扫兴,沮丧
2. disappointed a. 失望的,沮丧的
3. disappointing a. 使失望的;令人扫兴的
4. disappoint v. 使失望
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
lesson28 ANGER 愤怒
406. I’m so mad at you right now.
我现在很生你的气。
407. He was enraged by the accident.
他对这次事故大为恼火。
408. Your mom is going to be furious when she finds out what happened.
你母亲发现发生了什么事情之后会大发雷霆的。
409. My boss was pretty upset at me today.
我老板今天很生我的气。
410. I need to better control my temper.
我需要更好地控制我的脾气。
411. My uncle has a pretty bad temper.
我叔叔的脾气很坏。
412. It won’t help anything if you get angry.
你生气也于事无补。
413. His face was red with anger.
他的脸都气红了。
414. Mistakes are often made in the heat of anger.
愤怒经常会导致错误。
415. Why are you so angry with me?
你为什么生我的气?
416. You seem upset, has something happened?
你看起来很不高兴,发生什么事情了吗?
417. Tom and I were supposed to meet at the movie theatre, but he never showed up.
我和汤姆说好在电影院见面的,但他没来。
418. Maybe I won’t stop being friends with him, but I’m still going to tell him off.
也许我不会和他绝交,但我要好好说他一顿。
419. I was simply too mad to think straight.
我当时太生气,没仔细想。
420. I’ve never been so furious in my entire life!
我一生当中从来没这么生气过。
【生词解读】
1. enrage v. 激怒;使愤怒
2. furious a. 狂怒的
3. upset a. 心烦的,苦恼的
4. entire a. 全部的,整个的
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
lesson29 BOREDOM 无聊
421. This book bores me.
这本书让我感到乏味。
422. Do you find this class boring?
你觉得这堂课闷吗?
423. This movie isn’t very interesting.
这部电影不是很有趣。
424. I’m not interested in this conversation.
我对这次谈话不感兴趣。
425. Holidays with my relatives tend to be boring.
和我的亲戚在一起度过假期是很无聊的事情。
426. He looks pretty bored right now.
他现在看起来很无聊。
427. Am I boring you?
我令你感到厌烦吗?
428. No one expected the play to be this boring.
没有人想到演出会如此乏味。
429. Why do you think this is dull
你为什么认为这很乏味?
430. This cannot get anymore dull.
这再乏味不过了。
431. This kind of weather is very depressing.
这样的天气真令人压抑。
432. I was bored out of my mind.
我感到无聊极了。
433. I just watched a dull movie and called it a night early.
我看了一部没劲的影片,然后就睡了。
434. I’m usually pretty bored.
我通常都感觉很无聊。
435. In class, I have nothing to do.
在课堂上,我无事可做。
【生词解读】
1. boredom n. 无聊;厌倦
2. bore v. 使厌烦,烦扰
3. dull a. 乏味的,单调的,令人生厌的
4. depressing a. 令人沮丧的
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
lesson30 HATRED 憎恨
436. I hate going to work.
我讨厌工作。
437. Hatred often comes from ignorance and fear.
仇恨通常源于无知和恐惧。
438. It’s wrong to hate people from different cultures.
仇恨来自不同文化背景的人是不对的。
439. She gave him a hateful look.
她恶狠狠地看了他一眼。
440. His voice was full of hate.
他的声音充满了憎恨。
441. Hate can feel very powerful.
憎恨可以是一种强烈的感情。
442. Hatred makes it difficult to forgive.
憎恨让人难以原谅他人。
443. I loathe that man.
我讨厌那个人。
444. He despises everything about France.
他鄙视法国的一切。
445. She hates the color yellow.
她讨厌黄颜色。
446. I just don’t feel like running into him.
我就是不想碰上他。
447. Something about him just rubs me the wrong way.
他有些地方就是让我感到不对劲。
448. I hate that, because it is very impolite.
我讨厌那样,因为很不礼貌。
449. I just saw someone who I’d rather not be around.
我刚看见了一个我不愿看见的人。
450. I can’t stand him.
我受不了他。
【生词解读】
1. hatred n. 憎恨,憎恶;敌意
2. ignorance n. 无知,不学无术;愚昧
3. hateful a. 可恨的,可憎的,讨厌的
4. hate n. 仇恨,憎恨;厌恶,反感
5. forgive v. 原谅,宽恕
6. loathe v. 厌恶,憎恨
7. despise v. 轻视,鄙视